8.28.2009

Why the economy really sucks

I think everyone has heard the news that we are in a recession.  If not, let me help you out of the rock you are under.  If you haven't realized how bad things really are, let me explain how this economy is making my life difficult.  


Lets call it my own pity party. It goes like this.

I have a job in the hospitality and travel industry.  I work for a company that does housing, registration, sourcing and meeting planning for large associations and corporations all of the country.  When I took this job, when I graduated college, I was really excited about the amount of travel I would be able to do, the fun places I would get to see and all of the experiences that come with a 'glamorous' event planning position. {I am very sarcastic when I say glamorous. It is far from it.  It is hard work, stressful and not rewarding.}  

I set out to climb the corporate ladder but quickly realized that the ladder would only go so high.  I also learned that the successful event planners don't have a family, a good work/life balance and they surely don't have children.  I started to wonder if I made a terrible life decision to pursue a career that was fun, I enjoyed doing and I was good at, but at the same time, would limit my personal life in the long run.  

I have held my current position for over two years without a promotion.  Yes, that is correct.  I am great at what I do but this economy has affected all of our clients. Most of which have had to cancel their events because their attendees can not afford to come to these elaborate events held all over the country.  Because of those cancellations, my company has not been promoting their employees.  I completely understand it. 

I guess I should be thankful I have a job.  ...{If I hear that from one more person, I think I may have to poke my eyes out with a fork.  I am over that saying and the people that say it all the time.  Let me remind all of you people that I do work hard and I earn my paycheck.  Maybe, you should be happy I am doing my job.}.. stepping off of soap box... 

So, I have decided that maybe its time to start looking for other opportunities.  I have found a few positions that align with my skills and applied.  I have had quite a few interviews only to be informed that I am either under-qualified or over-qualified.  Where is the happy medium? Where are the positions for experienced professionals but don't have the 10 to 15 years of experience.  I have even looked into new industries -- fundraising, development, education facilities, public relations and communications.  I figure that if I am ever going to make a change in the industry, now is as good of time as any.   I have had zero luck.  

I have even thought about going back to school to teach.  I looked into and learned that in three years, I could teach.  Umm, I don't think I can manage my current job, go to school full-time and in three years, still have enough sanity to teach.  I know, I should have the patience, but at this moment, I don't. 

What's a girl to do?  At what point do I throw in the towel?  It is so stressful and overwhelming to explore new opportunities.  And it is even harder to be rejected again and again.  

I suppose I need to stop feeling sorry for myself, quit whining and put on my big girl panties. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.  Today, my pity party will continue. 

2 comments:

Cecilia 8/28/09, 11:39 AM  

It's o.k. to question your career. I always tell my hubby that I want him to be happy at his job, but we also have to be able to support our family still. I will make whatever cutbacks I have to. If you are truly ready to move one, keep trying. Yes, it does get frustrating, but hopefully something will eventually turn up. Good luck!!!

southern girl 8/28/09, 1:26 PM  

Cecilia: you are too kind. thank you for your words of encouragement.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

As you can imagine, this blog is about me -- a southern girl, well woman actually, living in a northern city. I don't claim to be from Mississippi or any other southern state but my accent might fool you. And I don't claim to live in New York-- really, I live in a mid-western city. From the small, southern town where I was raised, I am far from home but this is my new life. This blog will document my journey with my amazing husband and our pooch and the rest of our family.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP