1.13.2010

Life Lessons..

This week is a bit surreal for me. I am reliving part of my college days but seem to be having an out of body experience. Never in my life did I expect to be the old one. Last night, I realized that I was just that -- the old, mature one of the group that has to be responsible. I didn't like it. one. bit.

I have shared before that I volunteer with my sorority at a local university. Well, RUSH {er.. recruitment} is happening this week...

I finally realized, last night, why a lot of people have such strong feelings about sororities and the greek system, in general. Taking a step back, I realized that women can be very catty and down right mean, to other women. It made me think back to my college days and I am positive that the same types of attitudes and behaviors were present then. While I was active, I assumed it was normal -- the way women were treated and talked about the others, even within a certain circle.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time during my sorority days. I have met some of my best friends and had experience that I will always remember and treasure. I firmly believe that the greek system is a positive experience for some women but not for everyone. I believe that being greek is a personal choice.

It makes me sad to think that women treat each other the way they do. Recruitment is a very competitive process and women shouldn't feel so insecure about themselves or the women they associate with. But even after college, I think we as women, should be proud of who we are and what we do -- at any age.

I have learned a great lesson from these college women. No matter the situation, women should be more respectful and thoughtful of one another. In a society where reality shows and celebrity gossip are popular, women lose sight of what is really important -- the relationships we have with one another.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

As you can imagine, this blog is about me -- a southern girl, well woman actually, living in a northern city. I don't claim to be from Mississippi or any other southern state but my accent might fool you. And I don't claim to live in New York-- really, I live in a mid-western city. From the small, southern town where I was raised, I am far from home but this is my new life. This blog will document my journey with my amazing husband and our pooch and the rest of our family.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP